23 June, 2020 - Edible Garden Update & Tomorrow's Showcase...

Dear, Mom -

Hello. I hope you didn't get too warm today. I just paused writing this so I could go put our little fan on me. I came in from watering the garden and it was so humid out there. I did take pictures of my garden patch so you can see how much it has all grown. The lettuce needs to be eaten, so I'm going to try and make sure to pick some of it tomorrow so it will come back. I have lovely, big leaves to eat. And most of them don't have any little nibbles in them from some pesky bug. See?
Lettuce bigger than your hand!!!
My neighbor Rob came over and asked where I got the netting to protect my garden. I said, "The store.". Hahahahahaha. Well, it's true. I got some weed material to go around the beds and netting to go over it. All to keep the squirrels out. They buggers get in there and dig up the seeds, or put there own seeds in there, and end up ruining the beds. So far, I've had really good luck. I guess they gave up on mine and helped themselves to Rob's, free buffet! Poor guy.

My tomatillos are starting to get the actual flowers that will turn into tomatillos. I'm excited about these plants because I am going to make a green salsa with them. I will probably make some to give away, because you really can't freeze salsa. It needs to be eaten fresh.
I had to take the picture from an odd angle. I didn't realize it blurred a bit.
I think I have six or so plants. This is what the lanterns will look like when they mature. That's when I will pick them and use them for salsa. I've never done it before, so I am looking forward to the challenge. I should have grown some jalapeƱos, too, because I will need to put them in the salsa, as well. I might be able to buy a jalapeƱo plant that is at about the same stage as my tomatillos. That is an idea to consider. This is what I can't wait to see!
I am afraid my basil is not going to make it. I have three plants that are growing v-e-r-y  s-l-o-o-o-w. Not only that but they have nibbles in them from something that was apparently hungry. The attached picture shows you how small it is. It has been progressing to the point that the winter will be here by the time it gets big enough to take any leaves off for cooking. This makes me sad because I LOVE to cook with basil or make mozzarella, tomato, and basil sandwiches or caprese salads with it. It is one of the few ways I don't mind eating tomatoes raw, paired with the preceding cheese and basil. It's so fresh tasting. 

Moving on to my tomatoes. I only really have one sandwich tomato plant that is growing. It is in the bed with all the lettuce and sunflowers (which I thought was squash for the longest time). In the following photo, the red circle is around the tomato that I think has a chance at actually producing fruit, whereas the orange circle has the same kind of plant, but it just isn't growing well. I'm fine with one plant. Paula is going to have so many she's not going to be able to use them all so we will food share. 

Here is a picture of my cherry tomatoes. This I think will be pretty full of fruit in a couple of months.

That's my big garden update. Tomorrow will be the Fixing the Gutter Update. It should be full of pictures of Elden and I tearing down rotting wood and putting up nice, solid dry wood and reaffixing the gutter so when it rains, it drains where it is supposed to and not all over the patio. And the squirrels and mice can bugger off and find another place to stay as far as I'm concerned. I am excited for this project. I am going to let Elden do most all of the wood cutting. When I used to be a woodworker in the early 90s, I had my share of using power tools. I'm not a real big fan. I like using primitive tools more. Anyway, you'll get to see the progress of the project tomorrow and hopefully we will get it done and not have to continue it on Saturday.

My last picture is of the daisy I watered this morning. It was sitting right in the rising sun's beams and I thought it looked so nice. I thought you would like to see it, so I took a picture for you! I love you!!!!!!!
Have a great day today, Mom. I don't know if I will be able to talk just because we need to get the wood and gutters repaired. If it ends up we have time, I will let you and Joy know. The most important thing to remember is that "I love you...I miss you...I want to hug you...I want to give you a smooch...And I want to tell you how much I love that you are my Mom." I'll talk to you soon.....Sally

Comments

Popular Posts