27 September, 2020 - A Walk with Friends & A Great Cup of Coffee Makes All the Difference!

 Dear, Mom -

I had a nice day today. I sure hope you did, too. I was lucky enough to spend my time with three of my best friends. Kim, her husband Ward, and our friend Ian (visiting from Travers City, Michigan) all went for a nature walk around Vancouver Lake. Surprisingly, there weren’t too many people out there for such an absolutely gorgeous day. We could see Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, and the tippy top of Mt Adams because it was so clear. That was a lovely change from the horrible smoke that lay across the sky the last couple of weeks.

The trail through Vancouver Lake Park. It goes on and on. 
It was nice to have laughter with old friends while walking through the sun and shade of the woodlands. The park itself had a smattering of groups of people, but nothing as busy as downtown Vancouver. I would say that most everyone in Vancouver is pretending there is not a virus to be concerned about as they were all cavorting around without mask, huddled together, acting like this time we are in is absolutely normal. And then people in this country wonder why we cannot just go back to business as usual when the virus starts to ramp up. People are so thick headed, Mom. It’s really ridiculous how they can be so dumb. we all wore our masks while we were out. No matter where we were. It is a different time this year 2020. There are perfectly logical people proving to actually be pretty daft. Maybe that is not so different than normal.

While we were out there, I saw this cute little mushroom gathering.
Adult and children mushrooms gathered together. 
Kim and I are thinking about looking for some chantrelle mushrooms next weekend. They are one of my most favorite that I have had. They are a delicacy when sautéed in butter. I know, Mom. You are not fond of mushrooms. Neither are Kim or Ward. I, on the other hand, AM! Very much so. I would like to become a bit of a mycologists and learn how to identify our local mushrooms. The same with manny of the edible, native plants and berries. I many look into taking some online classes about it. Along with my orienteering, shelter construction, primitive fishing, and knot tying, I will be a regular survivalist and naturalist. It’s always good to have something to fall back on.
Inocybaceae. A gilled mushroom starting to mature.
Pacific Chorus Frog
While we were walking the trails, we could hear a frog up in the trees. And then another. And then another. One of them was coming from close to where we were standing so we stood very still while Ward zeroed in on it. We couldn’t believe he found this little fellow sitting on a brand a couple feet above our heads. He was only as big as your thumb, but basking in the sun as he/she sang. It was a really cool thing to find on our walk. The Pacific Chorus frog is the one you hear mostly around our woodlands, forests, temperate areas. 

This is a very silly picture of me and my pal Ian in the background. I took the picture towards the sun. Doh.
After we went for our walk, Kim and Ward had errands to run so I took Ian into Vancouver for a cup of coffee from my most favorite coffee shop in the area (including Portland). Kafiex Roasters Coffee Lab. To me, there espresso drinks are unmatched by any store in a 30 mile radius. Ian really loved it as well. He never used to drink coffee until he started teaching English in South Korea. He said in so many words that it helped him to be a better teacher by being more alert and in a more positive mood. Before he went to Korea, he never drank coffee. Now he loves vanilla lattes. It cracks me up. After we got our coffees, we walked to the park next door and watched the bell tower strike 4 o’clock and the little diorama of indigenous peoples thanking the salmon for sacrificing themselves to feed the tribe. It is a story of the native people of the area. I always enjoy seeing it and Ian did, too.

I also took him to the new and improved Vancouver Water Front. It has some very nice historical features blended with the landscape as long as educational sculptures that talk about the Columbia River and all the rivers between her and there. I wish I had taken a picture. The place was too busy and we were uneasy being there, so we took it all in on a short walk then headed home.

Pathway through the park

I look forward to talking to you, Mom. I love you very much and miss you lots. I am off to bed as I am quite tired now and welcoming sleep.
🍁🌞You’re the best Mom Ever! All My Love, Your Daughter, —-Sally Ann🦋🍄













Comments

Popular Posts