10 November, 2020 - I Start My Vacation Tonight & Veteran's Day Tomorrow

 Dear, Mom -

How has your day been today so far? Are you feeling like a million bucks? How about a $1.50? I think I'm closer to the buck fifty myself. I am happy to be getting some time off. My body is definitely telling me it is time to rest a bit. I'm not going to rush myself to do anything. I will get things done, weather providing. I heard earlier today that we may have a bit of a wind storm blowing in from the coast this Friday. That is the day I would actually like to go to the coast. Sigh. I don't know what is going to go right with this quote/unquote  "vacation".  I will try to look at it with positivity. There's been enough negativity this year.

I don't have much to write about my day today. It was a pretty basic day. No special events or happenings. I worked with Bob. I took him for a drive out to Scappoose. I figured I needed to get out there anyway to drop off some boxes at the Goodwill. He likes a nice drive and I point out things of interest along the way. There looked to be swans, cranes, or great egrets out in the small ponds off the Willamette River. They are so pretty and a stark contrast to the dark water and green surroundings. Sauvie's Island is a popular place for viewing migratory birds. 

This is a Great Blue Heron with a Great Egret, if I am not mistaken. They are listening to the water and fishing. As you will see in the next picture, the fish looks pretty surprised to be someone's dinner!

Just look at the neck on this guy/gal!

After work, I just came home, checked in on Birgit, then laid down for awhile. Tomorrow is Veteran's Day, so I will be thinking about Dad and his service in the US Navy. I will wear my USS Pine Island shirt in his honor.
Dad. How old was he here? He looks like he is about 16.
My Dad. Thomas Theodore Dodd. Sailor on the USS Pine Island. Korean War. Okinawa.
I thought you might like to see these pictures of Dad from when you were first together. He looked very handsome in his sailor suit. My favorite recollections of his days in the navy are the ones where he played cards and ping pong to save up money to buy you your trunk from Hong Kong and your bamboo patterned China dishwater. Today, I look towards Heaven and say to Dad, "I love you. I miss you. And thank you for serving in the Navy. I wanted to follow in your footsteps, but you told me not to. I thank you for that. My life would have been totally different. I'll see you again some day, Dad!" XOXO.

I love you lots and lots, Mom. There is good news on the horizon about a vaccine for the horrible virus that is going around. I look forward to the day we can be together again and not have to worry about the virus and getting people sick. I just want to sit and hold your hand and tell you stories. We'll drink coffee or hot chocolate and have chocolate chip cookies. Keep your chin up. Until then, I refuse to fail to write you a letter at night. I haven't missed a night yet, and knock on wood (my head), I won't miss a day until I'm able to come sit with you again.

☕🍪🍩You're the Best Mom Ever, All My Love, Your Daughter, ---Sally Ann🍩🍪☕





Comments

Wolfy said…
Hi Sally, I really like your content. Never seen this. You are such a nice person, both of you:-)

Popular Posts