16 November, 2020 - Gratitude & Dolly Parton

 Dear, Mom -

I can't wait to talk to you today! It is always uplifting to see you. We can talk about the crazy days we've had, compare notes, etc. Things are so strange right now that it is easy to get confused by it all. The people we know start to look different. They wear masks, gloves, and gowns. They all look like doctors. It is a bit scary. These people are keeping you safe, Mom. They are doing the best that they can. It just looks weird. So, don't worry. These things and practices are temporary. There will be a sense of normalcy hopefully very soon.

I was thinking of that Dolly Parton song "Light of a Clear Blue Morning". You and Dad really like Dolly, as do I. I just watched a great movie about her life and it made me smile because it makes me think of you and Dad. Anyway, the lyrics to the song are very hopeful. They talk about being in a moment of darkness (perhaps for a long length of time, or short), but how it will change into something opposite; something lighter. We just need to search for that glimmer and before long we will be assured that everything is going to be ok. 

It's been a long dark night/And I've been a waitin' for the morning/ It's been a long hard fight/ But I see a brand new day a dawning/

I've been looking for the sunshine/ You know I ain't seen it in so long/ But everything's gonna work out just fine/ Everything's gonna be all right/ That's been all wrong/

'Cause I can see the light of a clear blue morning/ I can see the light of a brand new day/ I can see the light of a clear blue morning/ Oh, and everything's gonna be all right, It's gonna be okay/


I was walking Elsa this evening and ran into my neighbor Julie. She gets depressed like I do and we were talking about how the world is pretty chaotic. She was talking about meditating to help the kids that she works with. Kids with cognition disabilities can really be helped by learning to meditate. She says doing it with her pupils has helped herself. She has to stop and guide these kids through a meditation that involves slow, long breathing and calming one's brain. One can't help to meditate while guiding others. I used to meditate every night. Sometimes I could sit for an hour. It was very helpful to me. I noticed my patience with other people was improved and certain things didn't carry such a heavy importance. I felt to feel calm. It is something I need to start doing again.

When I meditate, I start by taking a breath in then out. I do that four to five times. Then I start to clear my mind. I would picture myself sitting on the shore of the ocean. Every wave that come in is a breath in. Every wave returning to the sea is an exhale. I would do that for minutes until I had long, drawn out breaths. I would try and clear my mind of thoughts. If I was thinking about doing the laundry, I would stop myself, acknowledge that thought, then send it out to the sky above the ocean and let the wind carry it away. Those are my worries. I let the breeze take them. I don't let them hand around and make me anxious. Some times if I was laying down, I would tense all my muscles then release them. This would help to relax my muscles making it easier for me to think more clearly. 

I would also talk about gratitude and thankfulness. With a breath in, I would say, "I am thankful for such loving parents." then I would release the breath. I would ask for peace, health, love, or anything that I felt would help me to feel more at ease. When you use to do Yoga, I bet you use to do mental exercises like this to help you get warmed up. Meditation and yoga tend to go together.

Tomorrow is my birthday. Thank you for being the best Mom ever. At 4:20 a.m. on November, 17th 1969, I came into the world. I am so fortunate to have been born to you and Dad. Fifty one years ago was the big day. Holly made me a delicious cake from scratch. It is very sweet and delicious and downright cute.


I will talk to you today, Mom. I love you with all my heart. I will see your face soon and you will see mine. The day I can hold your hand will be the best day. I may not let go for a looooong time. Stay strong, Mom. Keep that chin up. We can pull through this together!!!

I LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU VERY MUCH! 

👶👩💖Your Daughter, Born today, ---Sally Ann🎂🍨💕

Comments

Popular Posts